Most Popular Stories
- Photos of dying patient posted to Facebook get four hospital workers fired
- UnitedHealth's Ingenix to buy Executive Health Resources, make FQHC version of CareTracker EHR
- Payers announce meaningful-use incentives
- Privacy, security 'tiger team' told granular consent technology is flawed
- Blumenthal, Berwick call meaningful use a 'starting point' for a better health system
- Doctor found guilty in bomb attack on state medical board chairman
- Leading health plan CEO paychecks
- 15 Free Healthcare Apps for the iPhone
- Aetna is best health plan, UnitedHealthcare is worst, hospital execs say
- Nurses' jobs at risk for allegedly posting patient info on Facebook
- UnitedHealthcare contracts stop making no-warning fee changes
- WI nurses fired over cell photos of X-ray
- Director of Pharmacy Job for Texas
StaffPointe, LLC - confidential, TX
- NP-Psych Cert
CompHealth - North Central, OH
- Consulting Manager, Case Management (RN)
talentRISE on behalf of global healthcare consulting firm - Chicago, IL
- Orthopedics/Sports Job in North Dakota
StaffPointe, LLC - Fargo, ND
- Acute Care NP/PA
CompHealth - South, FL
- Digital Medical Office of the Future Conference
September 9 - 10 — Las Vegas, NV
- IHI Seminar: Improving Access and Efficiency in the Office Practice
November 1 - 2, 2010 — San Diego, CA
- mHealth Networking & Web Conference
September 8-9, 2010 — Town & Country Hotel, San Diego CA
- Earn Your Online Degree From A Leader In Nursing Education
FierceHealthPayer provides the latest news about the fast-changing and heavily regulated area of healthcare reimbursement. Join thousands of healthcare plan executives who get FierceHealthPayer via weekly email. Sign up today!
Open enrollment periods for children approved by HHS
The Department of Health and Human Services posted a clarification on Tuesday that allows insurers to implement defined open enrollment periods for children with pre-existing conditions, Bloomberg reported. Outside those time frames, families will not be able to purchase coverage for their children.
The move was designed to calm the worries of insurance companies surrounding a provision in the Affordable Care Act that prevents them from discriminating against children with pre-existing conditions. State insurance commissioners had expressed concerns that people might wait until their children got sick to get them coverage, making it impossible for plans to stay profitable, The Hill reported.
In a July 28 entry on the White House blog, Nancy-Ann DeParle, who is director of the White House Office of Health Reform, noted that the administration became concerned last week when some insurance companies threatened to pull out of the child-only coverage market rather than cover those with pre-existing conditions. Some did.
In the blog, DeParle notes that "the Administration will not hesitate to issue regulations if insurance companies unfairly limit access to insurance for children who need it most."
Insurers praised the clarification, The Hill reported. In reaction to the administration's announcement that it will establish an annual enrollment period for child-only policies, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida announced that it plans to resume selling child-only policies.
To learn more:
- read the advisory posted on the HHS website
- check out the Bloomberg article
- see The Hill's piece
- read BCBS of Florida's press release
Unintended consequences: Insurers stop offering new coverage for some kids
Home | Subscribe | Advertise | Mobile Edition | RSS | Privacy | Site Map
THE FIERCEMARKETS NETWORKFierceFinance | FierceFinanceIT | FierceComplianceIT | FierceHealthcare | FierceHealthFinance | FierceHealthIT | Hospital Impact | FierceMobileHealthcare | FierceHealthPayer | FiercePracticeManagement | FierceCIO | FierceCIO:TechWatch | FierceContentManagement | FierceMobileIT | FierceGovernmentIT | FierceBiotech | FierceBiotech Research | FiercePharma | FierceVaccines | FierceBiotechIT | FiercePharma Manufacturing | FierceMedicalDevices | FierceDrugDelivery | FierceIPTV | FierceOnlineVideo | FierceTelecom | FierceVoIP | FierceBroadbandWireless | FierceDeveloper | FierceMobileContent | FierceWireless | FierceWireless:Europe | FierceCable
© 2010 FierceMarkets. All rights reserved.