Most Popular Stories
- Telemedicine moving from novelty to necessity for hospitals
- OIG approves referral arrangement involving EHR data exchange
- Costco expands EHR offerings for providers
- Hospitals use post-discharge clinics to cut readmissions
- Study: Telehealth cuts patient deaths by 45%
- Study: Prescribing errors spike with EHR upgrades
- Senate to probe Aetna, Cigna, United Healthcare, Quest, LabCorp for alleged billion-dollar fraud
- Hospitals with best patient satisfaction to draw in reimbursements
- Berwick's resignation from CMS bad news for health IT
- Hospitals use more NPs, PAs amid doc shortage
- Top patient care performers are most profitable hospitals
- Take this FiercePracticeManagement survey and qualify for a FREE $20 AMAZON.COM GIFT CARD!
- IHI Webinar: Leadership for Improvement in the Office Practice
January 11, 2012
- Northwestern Online Master of Science in Medical Informatics Program
- Webcast: Building a Trusted Healthcare Information Platform
December 13, 2pm ET / 11am PT
FierceHealthPayer provides the latest news about the fast-changing and heavily regulated area of healthcare reimbursement. Join thousands of healthcare plan executives who get FierceHealthPayer via weekly email. Sign up today!
BCBSNC overpaid $49M in claims, didn't try to recoup funds
Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina inefficiently handles fraud recovery efforts for North Carolina's State Health Plan, causing the insurance plan for state employees and retirees to overpay $49 million in medical claims over the past three years, according to a state audit report released this week.
State auditors found that overpayments were caused by such problems as making duplicate payments for the same service, paying for people not eligible for coverage, and paying for inappropriate or unnecessary services. The plan also paid benefits when Medicare or another policy should have paid all or part of the bill first, reports the News & Observer.
Making matters worse, the auditors' report says BCBSNC, which administers the State Health Plan, hasn't taken actions to recoup those overpayments, alleging the insurer's fraud recovery efforts are "well below industry standards" because the health plan recovers only 10 cents for every dollar spent on pursuing overpayments, WRAL reports.
Auditors also discovered some redundancies in BCBSNC's contract. The plan pays BCBSNC 22 percent to 24 percent of the amount recovered to collect on the payment errors the insurer originally made, according to the Winston-Salem Journal. "In other words, Blue Cross charges the plan to collect on errors that Blue Cross made," the report said. "Failure to take appropriate action to prevent future errors will result in additional overpayments and recovery costs for the plan."
In respose to the report, Interim Administrator Lacey Barnes said the State Health Plan is working to improve oversight of its BCBSNC contract and better identify and correct overpayments, notes WRAL. BCBSNC spokesperson Lew Bowman said the report was outdated in some areas, for example, by not reflecting changes the insurer has made with its vendors and software tools to better track claims. He added that the plan was overpaying much less than the industry standard, notes the Journal.
To learn more:
- view the state audit report (.pdf)
- read the News & Observer article
- check out the Winston-Salem Journal article
- see the WRAL article
N.C. Blue Cross to drop Medco for Blues-owned drug services
BCBSNC, UNC hope patient-centered practice reduces costs
Guest Commentary: Brad Wilson on fighting obesity
Home | Subscribe | Advertise | Mobile Edition | RSS | Privacy | Site Map | Editors
THE FIERCEMARKETS NETWORKFierceEnergy | FierceSmartGrid | FierceFinance | FierceFinanceIT | FierceComplianceIT | FierceHealthcare | FierceHealthFinance | FierceHealthIT | Hospital Impact | FierceMobileHealthcare | FierceHealthPayer | FiercePracticeManagement | FierceEMR | FierceCIO | FierceCIO:TechWatch | FierceContentManagement | FierceMobileIT | FierceGovernmentIT | FierceGovernment | FierceHomelandSecurity | FierceBiotech | FierceBiotech Research | FiercePharma | FierceVaccines | FierceBiotechIT | FiercePharma Manufacturing | FierceMedicalDevices | FierceDrugDelivery | FierceIPTV | FierceOnlineVideo | FierceTelecom | FierceEnterpriseCommunications | FierceBroadbandWireless | FierceDeveloper | FierceMobileContent | FierceWireless | FierceWireless:Europe | FierceCable
© 2011 FierceMarkets. All rights reserved.