Most Popular Stories
- Sentara uses dashboard to drive improvement with EHR data
- CDC awards grant to build online connections between hospital labs, public health agencies
- New app will give docs access to records 'anytime, anywhere'
- Best EMRs named by Black Book Rankings
- First responders get a hand with new EMS smartphone app
- New FDA rule tackles segment of mobile health, leaves others untouched
- Study: Pay-for-performance doesn't work
- Hospitals take online reservations for ER appointments
- VA hospital cancels surgeries after discovery of dirty tools
- Medical records for 1.7 million people stolen from van
- Patient advocates often connect in ways doctors can't
- Venture capitalists see a potential bonanza in health IT
- AIX Senior Engineer
UCLA Healthcare - Los Angeles, CA
- Chemistry Supervisor Needed in Western Maryland!
CompHealth - Western, MD
- UROLOGY NP/PA NEEDED IN SE GA - TOP 100 HOSPITAL
CompHealth - Southeast, GA
- General Surgery PA in Southern Georgia! Live near the Beaches!!!
CompHealth - Southern, GA
- Check out this Family Practice Opportunity with The Department of Veteran Affairs!
Rhino Medical Services -
- 2nd Annual Medical Devices Summit 2011
March 7-8, 2011 — Omni Parker House, Boston, Massachusetts
- 3rd Int'l mHealth Networking Conference
Mar 30-31, 2011 — Chicago, IL
- AHIP's Exchange Conference Series - Part I, Winter Program
March 9-10, 2011 — Washington D.C.
- 3rd Health Plan Innovation Congress
March 16-18, 2011 — Orlando, FL
Paid Research Reports
Electronic health records: getting it right first time
Cloud Computing Adoption In The APAC Life Sciences Industry
Stakeholder Opinions: Ophthalmology - Leading brands under threat
Genomics, Proteomics and Metabolomics in Diagnostics: Market landscape, innovative technologies and future outlook
Healthcare Regulatory Update: The United Arab Emirates
Point of Care Testing: Evaluating the return to evidence based medicine, novel technologies and the competitive landscape
FierceHealthPayer provides the latest news about the fast-changing and heavily regulated area of healthcare reimbursement. Join thousands of healthcare plan executives who get FierceHealthPayer via weekly email. Sign up today!
New cost estimates, guidance help insurers implement ICD-10
Implementing ICD-10 could cost health insurers between $2 billion and $3 billion, according to an AHIP analysis.
Health insurance plans are required to implement the ICD-10 system over the next three years. The enhanced data resulting from the switch to ICD-10 will lay the building blocks to refine payment systems, bolster pay-for-performance and identify fraud and abuse. "While the new system will provide the U.S. healthcare system a wide range of benefits, it represents a significant change from the current ICD-9 code set and the incremental costs of implementation will be substantial," AHIP said.
The AHIP findings, based on a survey of 20 health insurance plans, indicate an average cost for ICD-10 implementation of about $12 per member, ranging from $38 per member for small health plans (less than one million members) to $11 per member for large plans (more than 5 million members). The overall incremental cost for ICD-10 implementation for all responding plans is estimated to be $1.7 billion. Since the 20 responding health plans do not comprise the entire U.S. health insurance market, the total system-wide cost for insurers is likely to be in the range of $2-3 billion.
To help insurers and other healthcare stakeholders implement the costly ICD-10 code set, the National Quality Forum (NQF) has released a guidance report and best practices outlining:
- the impact of differences between ICD-9 and ICD-10 code sets;
- equivalency of code sets and populations;
- impact of code transitions on measure integrity;
- current practices and required resources for conversion;
- methodologies for converting code sets;
- recommendations for NQF measure submission and maintenance processes involving multiple code sets; and
- implications of additional code sets, coding changes, and coding equivalency on measure development and submission.
NQF's recommendations focused on several central themes--resources needed to facilitate the transition, best practices for approaching the coding conversion process for quality measures and responsibilities of cooperating parties.
"NQF's guidance can help ensure this conversion is completed in a timely and accurate manner, allowing stakeholders to continue monitoring quality across our healthcare system," says Patrick Romano, professor of medicine and pediatrics at the University of California Davis School Of Medicine.
To learn more:
- check out AHIP's cost estimate document
- read the NQF press release
- view the NQF guidance
Guest Commentary: The pros and cons of transitioning to ICD-10 via a tactical approach
ICD-10 implementation: Are you ready for Oct. 1, 2013?
CMS offers fact sheet explaining ICD-9 to ICD-10 changes
Post new comment
Check out more news by topic
Affordable Care | AHA | AHIMA | AMA | American Hospital Association | American Medical Association | American Recovery and Reinvestment Act | ARRA | Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services | Cerner | Charity Care | Cigna | Computerized Physician Order Entry | CPOE | David Blumenthal | Department of Health and Human Services | Electronic Health Records | Electronic Medical Records | EMR Adoption | Epic Systems | e-Prescribing | GE Healthcare | HCA | Health 2.0 | Health Information Exchange | Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act | Health Plans | Health Reform | Healthcare Costs | Healthcare Financial Management Association | Healthcare Reform | HFMA | HHS | HIMSS | HIPAA | Home Monitoring | Hospital Construction | Hospital Corporation of America | Hospital Finance | Hospital Layoffs | Hospital Strikes | Humana | Ingenix | Interoperability | Kaiser Permanente | Kathleen Sebelius | Mayo Clinic | McKesson | Meaningful Use | Medicaid | Medical Group Management Association | Medical Malpractice | Medicare | Medicare Fraud | Medicare Part D | Medicare Reimbursement | MGMA | mHealth Initiative | Moody's Investors Service | Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology | Patient Collections | Patient Privacy | Patient Safety | Pay for Performance | Personal Health Records | Physician Compensation | RAC | Recovery Audit Contractor | Remote Monitoring | Remote Patient Monitoring | Siemens | Telehealth | Telemedicine | UnitedHealth Group | Wellpoint | Wireless Health |
Home | Subscribe | Advertise | Mobile Edition | RSS | Privacy | Site Map
THE FIERCEMARKETS NETWORKFierceFinance | FierceFinanceIT | FierceComplianceIT | FierceHealthcare | FierceHealthFinance | FierceHealthIT | Hospital Impact | FierceMobileHealthcare | FierceHealthPayer | FiercePracticeManagement | FierceEMR | FierceCIO | FierceCIO:TechWatch | FierceContentManagement | FierceMobileIT | FierceGovernmentIT | FierceBiotech | FierceBiotech Research | FiercePharma | FierceVaccines | FierceBiotechIT | FiercePharma Manufacturing | FierceMedicalDevices | FierceDrugDelivery | FierceIPTV | FierceOnlineVideo | FierceTelecom | FierceVoIP | FierceBroadbandWireless | FierceDeveloper | FierceMobileContent | FierceWireless | FierceWireless:Europe | FierceCable
© 2011 FierceMarkets. All rights reserved.