Stephen Hemsley - 2009 Insurance CEO Compensation
Stephen Hemsley - UnitedHealth Group (NYSE: UNH)
Total 2009 Compensation: $8,901,916
- Base salary of $1,300,000
- Stock awards of $4,122,694
- Option awards of $1,442,306
- Non-equity incentive plan compensation worth $1,950,000
- "Other compensation" including company matching contributions for a 401(k) plan and company matching contributions under an executive savings plan valued at $86,916
Hemsley's nearly $9 million compensation package represented about two-tenths of 1 percent of his company's $3.82 billion net income, according to the company's 2009 annual report.
The bulk of Hemsley's whopping 178 percent pay increase (he earned just $3.2 million in 2008 by comparison) was realized due to stock and options awards. While he received no compensation in either category in 2008, in 2009 Hemsley earned $4.1 million in stock awards and another $1.4 million in stock appreciation rights (SAR) awards. His non-equity incentive plan compensation also increased slightly, to $1.95 million in 2009, up from $1.82 million the previous year.
UnitedHealth's Hemsley earned nearly $9 million in 2009
2008 CEO Compensation - UnitedHealth Group's Stephen Hemsley
UnitedHealth report projects $366B in potential Medicaid savings; some skeptical of motives