Most Popular Stories
- Debt deal could cut hospital Medicare payments by $1.4M annually
- Geisinger ordered to pay back $1.3M after overbilling Medicare
- Hospital ACO model saved $400k, cut readmissions
- 'Wage floor' extension means an extra $90M for New Jersey hospitals
- Disparity persists between quality perception, actual outcomes at top hospitals
- Cleveland Clinic creates incubator for internal app development
- Disney gives hospitals advice on consumer service
- Mayo Clinic launches its own social networking site
- Disney Institute Announces New Healthcare Service Program as Hospitals Prepare for Public Reporting of Patient Scores
- Hospitals hope to save money by pre-screening ER patients
- Hospitals spend up to $100M to scan paper
- 3rd Annual Mobile Healthcare Industry Summit 2011
September 20-21 — Brussels
- Mayo Clinic's Conference on Systems Engineering and Operations Research in Health Care
Aug 10-12, 2011 — Rochester, MN
- 2nd Annual Medical Management in Medicare Advantage: Payer/Provider Collaborative Care Summit
August 25-26, 2011 — Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa and Marina, San Diego, CA
- Accountable Care Organizations Conference
Sept 15-16 — Chicago, IL
FierceHealthPayer provides the latest news about the fast-changing and heavily regulated area of healthcare reimbursement. Join thousands of healthcare plan executives who get FierceHealthPayer via weekly email. Sign up today!
New insurance plans required to cover some preventive care, health screenings without cost-sharing
A mix of preventive care and screening services will become free to consumers, under the Affordable Care Act, which became law in March.
Under the new rule, services like blood pressure, diabetes and cholesterol tests, cancer screenings, routine vaccinations and well-baby visits will be provided without requiring the consumer to pony up a deductible, co-pay or co-insurance, said HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius at a star-studded press conference in D.C. that included first lady Michelle Obama and second lady Dr. Jill Biden. "Services like these will go a long way in preventing chronic illnesses that consume over 75 percent of the health care spending in this country," Obama said.
All new private health insurance plans with plan years beginning on or after September 23, 2010, will be required to cover recommended preventive services delivered by a network provider without cost-sharing. Many large company plans, which offer solid preventive benefits, will be exempt from the requirements for the now, the Associated Press reports.
"Too many people aren't getting the checkups and screenings they need to catch a disease like cancer in the early stages so it can be treated," Biden said.
The services are designed to prevent much of the chronic illness that consumes three out of every $4 spent on healthcare in the U.S.
While better preventive care may be designed to cut costs downstream, it still carries an upfront cost. Premiums will go up by 1.5 percent on average, as spending for the services is spread across the pool of insured people.
Whether the public unveiling of these free healthcare services will help the administration fare better in the public mind remains to be seen. Nearly half of Americans (49 percent) said they disapprove of the healthcare reform law, according to a CBS poll conducted in early July.
To learn more:
- read the regulation
- read the Associated Press story
- see the Washington Post blog post
- watch video of the press conference and read Sebelius's blog
- here are the CBS poll numbers
Less-publicized changes in the new health overhaul law that take effect soon
Home | Subscribe | Advertise | Mobile Edition | RSS | Privacy | Site Map | Editors
THE FIERCEMARKETS NETWORKFierceEnergy | FierceSmartGrid | FierceFinance | FierceFinanceIT | FierceComplianceIT | FierceHealthcare | FierceHealthFinance | FierceHealthIT | Hospital Impact | FierceMobileHealthcare | FierceHealthPayer | FiercePracticeManagement | FierceEMR | FierceCIO | FierceCIO:TechWatch | FierceContentManagement | FierceMobileIT | FierceGovernmentIT | FierceGovernment | FierceHomelandSecurity | FierceBiotech | FierceBiotech Research | FiercePharma | FierceVaccines | FierceBiotechIT | FiercePharma Manufacturing | FierceMedicalDevices | FierceDrugDelivery | FierceIPTV | FierceOnlineVideo | FierceTelecom | FierceEnterpriseCommunications | FierceBroadbandWireless | FierceDeveloper | FierceMobileContent | FierceWireless | FierceWireless:Europe | FierceCable
© 2011 FierceMarkets. All rights reserved.