Most Popular Stories
- Healthcare to add 4M jobs through 2018
- Behind the numbers: Best hospital list released, skepticism ensues
- Highest-risk mobile medical apps are focus of FDA's draft guidance
- Top 10 health systems named for 2011
- AHRQ: Less than half of hospitals have nonpunitive culture, safe handoffs
- More spending not equal to more patient satisfaction
- Patients pick hospitals for their social media presence
- Disney gives hospitals advice on consumer service
- Disney Institute Announces New Healthcare Service Program as Hospitals Prepare for Public Reporting of Patient Scores
- Hospitals hope to save money by pre-screening ER patients
- Hospitals spend up to $100M to scan paper
- HealthTech NextGeneration 2011
August 12, 2011 — San Francisco, CA
- 2nd Annual Medical Management in Medicare Advantage: Payer/Provider Collaborative Care Summit
August 25-26, 2011 — Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa and Marina, San Diego, CA
- Medical Device Connectivity Conference
Sept. 8-9, 2011 — Boston, MA
- Position Your Practice: Future of ACOs & Payment Reform Webinar
July 21, 3 p.m. ET
FierceHealthPayer provides the latest news about the fast-changing and heavily regulated area of healthcare reimbursement. Join thousands of healthcare plan executives who get FierceHealthPayer via weekly email. Sign up today!
Medicaid insurers enter small business market
As large, brand-name health insurance companies gradually become out of reach for many small businesses trying to contain costs, insurers serving Medicaid and other government-subsidized health programs are moving into the small business market hoping to capitalize on this opportunity.
Insurance broker Bill Fields says the value proposition of the wide networks offered by "brand-name" insurers has waned because as prices skyrocket, small businesses are increasingly forced to choose the new lower-cost limited networks plans being developed by the big health plans, reports the Boston Business Journal.
Two Medicaid insurers that are expanding their core business serving the poor to offer insurance to small businesses are CeltiCare Health Plan and Neighborhood Health Plan. "I hear from people and they are clamoring for options," CeltiCare CEO Richard Lynch told BBJ. "We think we are in a spot to provide a lower cost alternative for small businesses."
In 2009, CeltiCare launched CeltiCare Direct, a commercial plan for small businesses. Looking forward, CeltiCare plans to focus on very small businesses that have seen some of the biggest price hikes. "If you focus on this segment, there is money to be made," Lynch said.
Neighborhood Health Plan doesn't think its lack of brand name hinders its ability to provide commercial healthcare. "We might not be as well-known as some other plans, but we have a strong provider network and our prices don't fluctuate as much," Neighborhood Health Plan Vice President for Business Development Carla Bettano said. The insurer has seen membership in commercial plans grow by more than 60 percent since 2008, to 49,000 from 29,000, notes the BBJ.
"I have clients that would never have considered switching to Neighborhood Health Plan three years ago, and now they are switching in droves," Fields said. He added that Neighborhood Health Plan is offering some of his business clients premiums that are 25 percent less than larger insurers such as Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts and Harvard Pilgrim.
To learn more:
- read the Boston Business Journal article
Private insurance beats no insurance, Medicaid with better outcomes
Harvard Pilgrim strikes deal as Massachusetts freezes rates for 137 health plans
Survey finds group-health insurance rates climbing nationwide
Home | Subscribe | Advertise | Mobile Edition | RSS | Privacy | Site Map | Editors
THE FIERCEMARKETS NETWORKFierceEnergy | FierceSmartGrid | FierceFinance | FierceFinanceIT | FierceComplianceIT | FierceHealthcare | FierceHealthFinance | FierceHealthIT | Hospital Impact | FierceMobileHealthcare | FierceHealthPayer | FiercePracticeManagement | FierceEMR | FierceCIO | FierceCIO:TechWatch | FierceContentManagement | FierceMobileIT | FierceGovernmentIT | FierceGovernment | FierceHomelandSecurity | FierceBiotech | FierceBiotech Research | FiercePharma | FierceVaccines | FierceBiotechIT | FiercePharma Manufacturing | FierceMedicalDevices | FierceDrugDelivery | FierceIPTV | FierceOnlineVideo | FierceTelecom | FierceEnterpriseCommunications | FierceBroadbandWireless | FierceDeveloper | FierceMobileContent | FierceWireless | FierceWireless:Europe | FierceCable
© 2011 FierceMarkets. All rights reserved.