Most Popular Stories
- Hospital worker fired over Facebook comments about patient
- AMA malpractice survey reveals docs most at risk
- Voters reject Obama health reform in Missouri
- Foreign-trained docs as good as those trained in U.S.
- Virginia judge allows lawsuit opposing healthcare reform to advance
- HHS quietly withdraws HIPAA breach-notification rule
- Leading health plan CEO paychecks
- 15 Free Healthcare Apps for the iPhone
- Aetna is best health plan, UnitedHealthcare is worst, hospital execs say
- UnitedHealthcare contracts stop making no-warning fee changes
- Nurses' jobs at risk for allegedly posting patient info on Facebook
- Wal-Mart will market electronic medical records system
- Ortho Spine Surgeon Job in Florida
StaffPointe, LLC - near Tampa, FL
- Endocrinologist Job for West Virginia
StaffPointe, LLC - north central, WV
- Family or Internal Medicine Job in Texas
StaffPointe, LLC - Dallas and Tyler, TX
- Gastroenterology Job in Florida
StaffPointe, LLC - near St. Augustine, FL
- NPs - Adult, Internal Medicine or Geriatric experience
CompHealth - Northeast, PA
- Smarter Healthcare: How do you do it?
- Healthcare Payments Automation Summit (HPAS)
September 19 - 21 — Boston, MA
- 39th Annual Meeting of the American College of Clinical Pharmacology
September 12 - 14 — Baltimore Marriott Waterfront in Baltimore, MD
- Digital Medical Office of the Future Conference
September 9 - 10 — Las Vegas, NV
FierceHealthPayer provides the latest news about the fast-changing and heavily regulated area of healthcare reimbursement. Join thousands of healthcare plan executives who get FierceHealthPayer via weekly email. Sign up today!
Group health plans not ready for July 1 mental health parity rules
On July 1, the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act (MHPAEA) goes into effect, but actuarial tests show that most employer-sponsored health plans will not be able to meet its parity requirements, Sara Teppema, staff fellow for the Schaumburg, Ill.-based Society of Actuaries (SOA), told National Underwriter Life and Health. MHPAEA mandates that group health plans with 50-plus employees provide coverage for mental health and substance abuse treatment the same way they do for other medical illnesses.
"The idea is that mental health benefits need to be as good as or better than medical benefits," said Teppema. "A lot of employers think that they meet parity, but a vast majority of employer plans are not passing the test." The parity requirements focus on six benefit classifications: inpatient in-network, inpatient out-of-network, outpatient in-network, outpatient out-of-network, emergency care and prescription drugs. Plans that pass the test tend to be either high-deductible medical plans or HMOs that have low coinsurance for both mental and medical expenses, she said.
To meet the requirements, employers could increase their mental health benefits, but that could create premium increases across the board. Another option would be to deep-six copayments for all medical services, Teppema pointed out.
UnitedHealth Group in Minnetonka, Minn., and other insurers have requested multiple changes to the interim final rules that the federal government issued this spring to implement the MHPAEA, including postponing implementation from July 1, 2010, to July 1, 2011. However, the Washington, D.C.-based National Council for Community Behavioral Healthcare and other consumer groups are against postponement. The National Council recently commended Rep. Paul Tonko (D-N.Y.) for sending a letter to the Departments of Health and Human Services, Labor, and Treasury "urging them to resist insurance industry efforts to create new loopholes in the law." Rep. Tonko's letter accuses insurers of practicing "discriminatory and outdated thinking."
Home | Subscribe | Advertise | Mobile Edition | RSS | Privacy | Site Map
THE FIERCEMARKETS NETWORKFierceFinance | FierceFinanceIT | FierceComplianceIT | FierceHealthcare | FierceHealthFinance | FierceHealthIT | Hospital Impact | FierceMobileHealthcare | FierceHealthPayer | FiercePracticeManagement | FierceCIO | FierceCIO:TechWatch | FierceContentManagement | FierceMobileIT | FierceGovernmentIT | FierceBiotech | FierceBiotech Research | FiercePharma | FierceVaccines | FierceBiotechIT | FiercePharma Manufacturing | FierceMedicalDevices | FierceDrugDelivery | FierceIPTV | FierceOnlineVideo | FierceTelecom | FierceVoIP | FierceBroadbandWireless | FierceDeveloper | FierceMobileContent | FierceWireless | FierceWireless:Europe | FierceCable
© 2010 FierceMarkets. All rights reserved.