Most Popular Stories
- Communication problems suggest patients, doctors often aren't on the same page
- Patient records found at dump
- Phony nursing school shut down by California attorney general
- Video games could enhance med school education, students say
- CHS bids $100M for Ohio's bankrupt Forum Health, topping Ardent by $30M
- Hospital mass layoffs hit Connecticut, Kentucky, Kansas, New York
- Leading health plan CEO paychecks
- 15 Free Healthcare Apps for the iPhone
- Aetna is best health plan, UnitedHealthcare is worst, hospital execs say
- Nurses' jobs at risk for allegedly posting patient info on Facebook
- UnitedHealthcare contracts stop making no-warning fee changes
- WI nurses fired over cell photos of X-ray
- Internal Medicine Job for Oregon
StaffPointe, LLC - southern, OR
- ObGyn Job for Ohio
StaffPointe, LLC - near Cleveland, OH
- Dentist Job in Arkansas
StaffPointe, LLC - Little Rock, AR
- Dermatologist Job for Minnesota
StaffPointe, LLC - south central, MN
- Pain Physician Job for Florida
StaffPointe, LLC - west coast, FL
- Cracking the Code to Hospital-Wide Patient Flow - PLUS!
September 20 - 21 — Washington, DC
- Medical Device Connectivity Conference
Sept 28-29 — San Diego
- 2nd Annual Mobile Healthcare Industry Summit
September 21 - 22 — Radisson Blu, London
- Building the Case for Infection Prevention
Sep 12-13 — Baltimore, MD
FierceHealthPayer provides the latest news about the fast-changing and heavily regulated area of healthcare reimbursement. Join thousands of healthcare plan executives who get FierceHealthPayer via weekly email. Sign up today!
'Bad debt' from insured patients a growing problem, survey indicates
While many hospitals nationwide have struggled to collect money from patients lacking health insurance in recent years, a survey conducted by the Delaware Valley Healthcare Council determined that patients with insurance have actually become more of a problem with regards to not paying their bills, the Philadelphia Inquirer reports.
The survey, which looked at financial statistics of 36 hospitals in and around Philadelphia from 2008, determined that overall, bad debt grew to $550 million in '08 from $490 million in 2007, a 12 percent jump. For patients with coverage, however, bad debt increased a whopping 28 percent, from $76 million to $97 million.
A lot of the problem seems to stem from plans with higher deductibles and lower premiums, according to the article. While at the outset, such plans seem attractive, many patients end up encountering medical emergencies that leave them with what Troy Roth, vice president of revenue-cycle product strategy for MedAssets, calls "sticker shock."
"It's not uncommon to see bills over $5,000 that are owed by patients," Roth told the Inquirer. "I've seen plans that don't kick in benefits until $10,000."
Kenneth Braithwaite, regional executive for DVHC who does not endorse such plans, likened them to "a rock in a box that somebody's trying to sell." However, he also believes that the insurance that eventually will be offered under the new healthcare law-in which deductibles could be as high as $2,000 for individuals and $4,000 for families-will only add to a problem he sees as a nationwide epidemic.
"I get a pretty decent salary, and $4,000, to me, is a lot of money," he told the newspaper.
To learn more:
- here's the Philadelphia Inquirer article
Patient collections: 7 Fierce strategies for getting paid
Trend: Hospitals requiring upfront cash payments before treatment
Trend: More medical practices require same-day deductible payment
Home | Subscribe | Advertise | Mobile Edition | RSS | Privacy | Site Map
THE FIERCEMARKETS NETWORKFierceFinance | FierceFinanceIT | FierceComplianceIT | FierceHealthcare | FierceHealthFinance | FierceHealthIT | Hospital Impact | FierceMobileHealthcare | FierceHealthPayer | FiercePracticeManagement | FierceCIO | FierceCIO:TechWatch | FierceContentManagement | FierceMobileIT | FierceGovernmentIT | FierceBiotech | FierceBiotech Research | FiercePharma | FierceVaccines | FierceBiotechIT | FiercePharma Manufacturing | FierceMedicalDevices | FierceDrugDelivery | FierceIPTV | FierceOnlineVideo | FierceTelecom | FierceVoIP | FierceBroadbandWireless | FierceDeveloper | FierceMobileContent | FierceWireless | FierceWireless:Europe | FierceCable
© 2010 FierceMarkets. All rights reserved.