Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas Reaches Out to Members Impacted by West, Texas Tragedy
RICHARDSON, Texas, April 19, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- As the community of West, Texas, continues its recovery efforts after the explosion at West Fertilizer Company, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) is reaching out to residents, local employees and members to provide immediate assistance with health insurance-related information.
"You can't live in Texas without driving on I-35, and you can't drive on I-35 without having great appreciation for West and its people. Our hearts and prayers go out to the community, and those affected by this tragedy," said Bert Marshall, president of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas.
BCBSTX will be making a $15,000 donation to the Heart of Texas Area Chapter of the American Red Cross, and has offered to work with the Care Van Foundation to make on-site vaccines, especially tetanus vaccines, available to residents, first responders and rescuers.
BCBSTX members are being advised that help is available to them if they need assistance with any of the following:
- accessing member identification information if they do not have their identification card;
- assisting with early refills of prescription medications that they may not have access to;
- helping to locate a network provider, hospital or dialysis center if theirs is not available;
- explaining the options for accessing care; and
- working to ensure continuity of care.
If BCBSTX members need assistance with any of the above, or have other questions, they can contact BCBSTX through any of the following methods:
- BCBSTX Customer Service for all employer group plan members: 800-521-2227
- BCBSTX Customer Service for individual/family policyholders: 888-697-0683
- BCBSTX Customer Service for Medicare Supplement policyholders: 800-654-9390
- Federal Employee Information: 800-442-4607
BCBSTX is standing by to help its members and those affected.
About Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas — the only statewide, customer-owned health insurer in Texas — is the largest provider of health benefits in the state, working with nearly 40,000 physicians and 400 hospitals to serve 4.8 million members in all 254 counties. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas is a Division of Health Care Service Corporation (which operates Blue Cross Blue Shield plans in Texas, Illinois, Oklahoma and New Mexico), the country's largest customer-owned health insurer and fourth largest health insurer overall. Health Care Service Corporation is a Mutual Legal Reserve Company and an Independent Licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.
BCBSTX.com | Twitter.com/BCBSTX | Facebook.com/BlueCrossBlueShieldOfTexas | YouTube.com/BCBSTX
SOURCE Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas