Most Popular Stories
- HHS dials back requirements, offers flexibility in final meaningful use rule
- HHS relaxes EHR meaningful use rule to encourage adoption
- Whistleblower lawsuit accuses six surgeons of Medicare fraud
- CMS' Berwick gets to work selling the meaningful use EHR rule
- Computerized monitoring systems linked to use of best practices in war on infections
- UK health system overhaul to cut layers of managers
- Leading health plan CEO paychecks
- 15 Free Healthcare Apps for the iPhone
- Aetna is best health plan, UnitedHealthcare is worst, hospital execs say
- UnitedHealthcare contracts stop making no-warning fee changes
- Wal-Mart will market electronic medical records system
- Nurses' jobs at risk for allegedly posting patient info on Facebook
- Internal Medicine/FP Job in Idaho
StaffPointe, LLC - Boise, ID
- Director of Reimbursement Job in Florida
StaffPointe, LLC - southern, FL
- Neurologist Job for Nevada
StaffPointe, LLC - northeastern, NV
- Nurse Practitioner Job in Florida
StaffPointe, LLC - Immokalee, FL
- Therapist Jobs in Maryland
StaffPointe, LLC - statewide, MD
- Northwestern Online Master of Science in Medical Informatics Program
- IHI on The Board's Role in Quality & Safety
October 4 - 5 — Washington, DC
- AdvaMed 2010: The MedTech Conference
October 18 - 20
- 2nd Annual Mobile Healthcare Industry Summit
September 21 - 22 — Radisson Blu, London
FierceHealthPayer provides the latest news about the fast-changing and heavily regulated area of healthcare reimbursement. Join thousands of healthcare plan executives who get FierceHealthPayer via weekly email. Sign up today!
Insurers start early extending children's coverage until age 26
While the health reform law provision requiring health insurers to allow parents to keep children on their health insurance plan up to age 26 doesn't take effect until Sept. 23, several insurers have announced they will take steps now to keep young adults from falling into this coverage gap once they graduate from college or meet other criteria that exclude them, reports USA Today.
UnitedHealthcare in Minneapolis will offer the coverage extension to college students who are currently covered under a fully insured UnitedHealthcare plan. Similarly, Humana in Louisville, Ky., will provide uninterrupted coverage for young adults who are currently covered by their parents' Humana fully insured health plans. (Both UnitedHealthcare and Humana already allow children insured through individual health plans to remain until age 26.) WellPoint Inc. in Indianapolis will begin retaining young adults on their parents' policies effective June 1 for both fully insured group and individual health plans.
Kaiser Permanente in Oakland, Calif., hasn't set a firm date, but plans to provide a coverage extension to individual policy holders prior to Sept. 1. Also, the health plan is talking to employer groups to try to obtain coverage extensions for their policies as well.
"Following our initial conversations and outreach to insurers, we are encouraged by the actions of WellPoint, UnitedHealthcare and other companies to bridge the gap between now and the fall when the law becomes effective," said Kathleen Sebelius, secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services. HHS also is working with other insurers to try to obtain similar extensions.
How self-funded large-employer health plans will deal with the coverage gap is unclear, but Humana and other insurers that administrate those plans are encouraging them to adopt extensions.
For more information:
- read this Wall Street Journal article
- read this USA Today article
- read the UnitedHealthcare press release
- read the Humana press release
- read the WellPoint press release
- read the HHS press release
Home | Subscribe | Advertise | Mobile Edition | RSS | Privacy | Site Map
THE FIERCEMARKETS NETWORKFierceFinance | FierceFinanceIT | FierceComplianceIT | FierceHealthcare | FierceHealthFinance | FierceHealthIT | Hospital Impact | FierceMobileHealthcare | FierceHealthPayer | FiercePracticeManagement | FierceCIO | FierceCIO:TechWatch | FierceContentManagement | FierceMobileIT | FierceGovernmentIT | FierceBiotech | FierceBiotech Research | FiercePharma | FierceVaccines | FierceBiotechIT | FiercePharma Manufacturing | FierceMedicalDevices | FierceDrugDelivery | FierceIPTV | FierceOnlineVideo | FierceTelecom | FierceVoIP | FierceBroadbandWireless | FierceDeveloper | FierceMobileContent | FierceWireless | FierceWireless:Europe | FierceCable
© 2010 FierceMarkets. All rights reserved.