Most Popular Stories
- Asif Ahmad - Disruptive Forces in Health IT
- Blumenthal: Federal program will ease IT worker shortage
- Verizon opens HIE services to imaging, test results, small providers
- 'Virtual white board' helps to cut hospital length of stay
- Ryan Howard - Disruptive Forces in Health IT
- Insurers increased denials by 49 percent because of pre-existing conditions
- Webcast: Lowering the cost of Healthcare from the inside out: a practical approach to Asset and Service Management
Oct 28, 1 pm ET
- CIO Summit
November 7-10, 2010
- IDGA's Electronic Health Records Summit 2010
Oct 27-29 — DC
- 2010 mHealth Summit
November 8-10 — Washington DC
Paid Research Reports
Electronic health records: getting it right first time
Cloud Computing Adoption In The APAC Life Sciences Industry
Stakeholder Opinions: Ophthalmology - Leading brands under threat
Genomics, Proteomics and Metabolomics in Diagnostics: Market landscape, innovative technologies and future outlook
Healthcare Regulatory Update: The United Arab Emirates
Point of Care Testing: Evaluating the return to evidence based medicine, novel technologies and the competitive landscape
FierceHealthPayer provides the latest news about the fast-changing and heavily regulated area of healthcare reimbursement. Join thousands of healthcare plan executives who get FierceHealthPayer via weekly email. Sign up today!
We never sell or give away your contact information. Our reader's trust comes first.
HHS seeks comments for setting up the health insurance exchange system
The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) has requested public input for developing the health insurance exchange system required by the Affordable Care Act, reports the National Underwriter Life and Health.
The Office of Consumer Information and Insurance Oversight (OCIIO), a branch of HHS, is asking for suggestions regarding the planning and quality of exchanges, enrollment and eligibility, consumer experience, employer participation, and risk adjustments, among others.
According to the HHS, the state-level exchanges are "new, competitive, consumer-centered health insurance marketplaces," a "one-stop-shop" where consumers can compare and purchase health insurance.
In its call for comments, the OCIIO asks:
- What are some of the major considerations involved in certifying QHPs under the exchanges?
- How best can exchanges help consumers understand the quality and cost implications of their plan choices?
- What types of efforts could be taken to reach individuals from diverse cultural origins and those with low literacy, disabilities, and limited English proficiency?
Comments are due Oct. 4.
In another move toward establishing the health exchange system, HHS announced the availability of up to $1 million in grants per state to help states plan and develop exchanges.
"With most states struggling to keep their budgets in balance, these grants will give them the resources to conduct the research and planning needed to build the health insurance marketplace of the future," said HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius in a statement. "We are working hand-in-hand with states as we carefully implement the Exchanges to make sure they best meet people's health insurance needs."
States should have exchanges in operation by 2014, though the government will offer a federal alternative for residents of states that fail to meet the deadline, notes the National Underwriter. If a state decides not to create an exchange for its residents, HHS will help establish one on its behalf.
- read the National Underwriter Life and Health article
- check out the HHS press release
- read the request for comment
- obtain a grant application
Health insurance exchanges: States must limit adverse selection
Is ONC being stretched too thin with insurance-exchange enrollment
In Maryland, base for a health insurance exchange may already exist
Post new comment
Home | Subscribe | Advertise | Mobile Edition | RSS | Privacy | Site Map
THE FIERCEMARKETS NETWORKFierceFinance | FierceFinanceIT | FierceComplianceIT | FierceHealthcare | FierceHealthFinance | FierceHealthIT | Hospital Impact | FierceMobileHealthcare | FierceHealthPayer | FiercePracticeManagement | FierceEMR | FierceCIO | FierceCIO:TechWatch | FierceContentManagement | FierceMobileIT | FierceGovernmentIT | FierceBiotech | FierceBiotech Research | FiercePharma | FierceVaccines | FierceBiotechIT | FiercePharma Manufacturing | FierceMedicalDevices | FierceDrugDelivery | FierceIPTV | FierceOnlineVideo | FierceTelecom | FierceVoIP | FierceBroadbandWireless | FierceDeveloper | FierceMobileContent | FierceWireless | FierceWireless:Europe | FierceCable
© 2010 FierceMarkets. All rights reserved.