Most Popular Stories
- Where to draw the line in social media at your hospital
- Hospital labor study reveals hidden costs of nurses
- Hospital or hospitality: Ritz-Carlton provides hospitals customer service lessons
- HIEs save payers big bucks
- Simple, improved discharge care cuts readmissions
- State probes exec pay at nonprofit hospitals
- Medicaid Health Plans of America's Annual Meeting
November 6-8 — Washington, DC
- iHT2 Health IT Summit in NYC
September 20-21 — NYC
- IHI National Forum on Quality Improvement in Health Care
December 4-7 — Orlando, FL
- Advance your Healthcare Career with Top Online Degrees
CIGNA (NYSE: CI) Earnings Q1 2011
View CIGNA's (NYSE: CI) Q1 Earnings Report
- Shareholders' net income totaled $429 million, or $1.57 per share, up nearly 52 percent, from $283 million ($1.02 per share), in 2010
- Adjusted income from operations for Q1 2011 was $375 million, or $1.37 per share, increasing 36 percent per share compared with the first quarter of 2010.
- First quarter consolidated revenues increased to $5.4 billion, up nearly 4 percent from the same period last year. Cigna expects overall 2011 revenue to be higher than in 2010.
- The company's Q1 medical loss ratio fell to 77 percent, from nearly 83 percent
- The operating expense ratio increased to 27 percent, up from 26.5 percent for the period ending March 31
- Full-year 2011 earnings, on an adjusted income from operations basis, are expected range from $1.3 billion to $1.4 billion, or $4.65 to $5.00 per share.
Notable quote: "The higher operating expense ratio reflects strategic information technology investments...During the first quarter of 2011, the Company incurred total after-tax costs of approximately $6 million related to Health Care Reform comprised of $2 million of additional income tax related to the impact of the tax law changes...and $4 million of after-tax costs related to building the infrastructure necessary to comply with the provisions of Health Care Reform that became effective in 2011. These costs represent the estimated cost of internal staff redeployed to work on Health Care Reform initiatives. The Company expects to spend an additional $16 million after-tax for the remainder of 2011 related to Health Care Reform initiatives."
For more information:
- Read the company's 10-Q report filed with the SEC
- Read this company press release
- Check out CIGNA's current earnings estimates from CNN Money
- See how CI is performing right now
- CIGNA's website: www.cigna.com
Cigna electronically adds doctors to its networks
Cigna ACO pilots are improving quality, cutting costs
Cigna pays $1.2M in fines, refunds
Cigna faces $100M lawsuit for gender discrimination
Home | Subscribe | Advertise | Mobile Edition | RSS | Privacy | Site Map | Editors
THE FIERCEMARKETS NETWORKFierceEnergy | FierceSmartGrid | FierceFinance | FierceFinanceIT | FierceComplianceIT | FierceHealthcare | FierceHealthFinance | FierceHealthIT | Hospital Impact | FierceMobileHealthcare | FierceHealthPayer | FiercePracticeManagement | FierceEMR | FierceCIO | FierceCIO:TechWatch | FierceContentManagement | FierceMobileIT | FierceGovernmentIT | FierceGovernment | FierceHomelandSecurity | FierceBiotech | FierceBiotech Research | FiercePharma | FierceVaccines | FierceBiotechIT | FiercePharma Manufacturing | FierceMedicalDevices | FierceDrugDelivery | FierceIPTV | FierceOnlineVideo | FierceTelecom | FierceEnterpriseCommunications | FierceBroadbandWireless | FierceDeveloper | FierceMobileContent | FierceWireless | FierceWireless:Europe | FierceCable
© 2011 FierceMarkets. All rights reserved.