Angela Braly - 2009 Insurance CEO Compensation
Angela Braly - WellPoint (NYSE: WLP)
Total 2009 Compensation: $13,108,198
- Base salary of $1,144,000
- Stock awards of $6,200,028
- Option awards of $3,973,688
- Non-equity incentive plan compensation worth $1,487,086
- Change in pension value and nonqualified deferred compensation worth $11,360
- "Other compensation" including additional security "in light of growing concerns regarding the safety of Ms. Braly," a security-enhanced vehicle and company matching contributions for a 401(k) plan valued at $292,036
Braly's $13 million compensation package was smaller than 1 percent of her company's $4.75 billion net income, as reported in the company's 2009 annual report. However, her earnings did increase a whopping 51 percent from 2008, something state and federal lawmakers won't soon let her forget, due to both the company's insistence on raising individual premiums by as much as 39 percent in California and allegations of rescissions targeting breast cancer patients.
Braly really raked in the big bucks in two areas: stock awards and performance bonus. Her stock awards for 2009 were worth $6.2 million, compared with just $2.3 million last year. And Braly's performance bonus of $1.49 million was roughly $1.4 million more than her 2008 bonus of just $73,810.
WellPoint CEO Braly received a 51 percent compensation boost in 2009
WellPoint's Braly calls raised premiums 'prudent'
WellPoint profits soared 51 percent in Q1 but should have been higher, Braly says